Monday, June 15, 2009

Monsters of the Midway Criterium, Chicago, IL, May 16, 2009




Bottom line: this was a race that I would really like to forget.

The day was beautifully sunny, but extremely windy. The course is in the heart of the University of Chicago, along the beautiful Midway Plaisance (scene of the 1893 Columbian Exposition/Chicago World’s Fair). It is a rectangular 4-turn course with two half-mile straightaways. We had a tailwind on the Start/Finish stretch, and a brutal headwind on the opposite side.

We were scheduled to roll at 12:20 for a 40 minute + 2 lap race. However, due to an earlier crash in the women’s race, all of the races were shortened and were running about ½ hour late. So, shortly before 1:00 we lined up for 30 minutes + 2 laps. The field was huge, with about 100 Cat 4s. As Kev and I rolled up to the Start/Finish after a warm-up lap, we found ourselves at the very back of this mass of humanity.


After the whistle blew, we took off with the wind at our backs. Kev and I took the opportunity to move up right away toward the front of the field. It became clear after the first turn that the corners were going to be an issue. The field slowed down excessively going into each corner, and way too many riders failed to hold their lines. After Turn 2, a rider in an Indiana University jersey cut across my front wheel without even looking. I hit the brakes and narrowly avoided having him take out my front wheel.

Aside from the squirrelyness in the corners, I was feeling good. We were zipping along the Start/Finish at 30+ mph, and only slowing down to 24 mph into the headwind. My biggest problem was holding position. I would move forward along the straightaways, only to get caught behind some excessive braking in the corners while masses of riders moved up along the sides. I would come out of a corner and find myself 20 riders further back than when I was going into the corner. Argh, gotta move up again! 3 laps in, I realized that my breathing was a little wonky. I was wheezing a little bit, which almost never happens.

It was bound to happen…11 minutes in, as I pedaled through Turn 1 I heard the sound that every racer hates to hear…the sound of metal hitting the pavement. Fortunately, I was far enough ahead and to the left that I was not affected. However, I knew that Kev had been somewhere behind me, and I hoped that he hadn’t gotten mixed up in it.

A few laps later, Kev suddenly appeared from out of nowhere at the front of the field. I put 2 and 2 together and realized that he had been pushed back into the field at the Start/Finish after the crash. I moved myself up to his wheel and he confirmed that he had been taken down. I asked if he was OK, and he replied “I think I lost my new front wheel.” Physically, however, he was uninjured.

The race settled into a routine…gain position, lose position, gain position, watch out in the corners, etc. Fortunately, my breathing issues had settled down. Coming around to the Start/Finish I heard the announcement that there were 2 laps to go. Moments thereafter, disaster struck again. About halfway along the windy backstretch, I heard the telltale sounds of another crash. Again, I was far enough forward and to the left to completely avoid it, but I could tell by the sounds of it that it was a big crash. Again, I knew that Kev was somewhere behind me, so I could only hope (again) that he wasn’t involved.

As we rolled past the Start/Finish for the final lap, I looked down at my computer and saw that only 28 minutes had elapsed. Part of me was mad that they had shortened our race even more, but another part of me was glad that the crash-fest would soon be over. After Turn 2 I moved to the left of the field, into the headwind, and moved myself up to the front of the pack. As we slowed down and moved to the left to pass by the scene of the crash, I saw a rider in a yellow jersey sitting on the ground. As we got closer I could see that that it was a South Chicago Wheelmen rider. At that point I went into “survival mode,” hung on through the remaining turns, and contented myself to ride this one out. The turns were clean, and I pushed as hard as I could to the line. I passed a few riders, and estimated that I probably took about 25th. My worst finish of the year, but I was just glad this one was over.

As I passed by the scene of the wreck on my cool-down lap, I saw Kev sitting in the grass on the left side of the road. His hand is up to his mouth, and I see blood. A lot of blood. Fortunately, Kim was with him. I yelled out “is Kev OK” to which Kim shouted “no!” As soon as I could, I got turned around and zipped back to them. His upper lip was badly split open, and he had a bunch of road rash. Thankfully, he had no broken bones and no missing teeth.

We got Kev to the University of Chicago ER as quickly as possible. We were able to stay with him throughout the entire process…however, I didn’t watch anything involving needles (the pattern on the curtain suddenly became very interesting when the needles appeared). He walked out with 7 or 8 stitches on his upper lip. To his credit, he remained in good humor and spirits throughout. He took it all so much better than I ever could have.

So, despite a marginal finish I was glad that I stayed upright. I feel bad for Kev (and for the other riders affected by the crashes, at least one of whom got injured a lot worse), but he “took it like a champ” and will race another day.
[PHOTO COURTESY OF KIM BUTLER]

STATS:
Race time: 30:46
Distance: 13.03
Average pace: 2:21/mile
Average speed: 25.5
Max speed: 33.0
Average HR: 170

Max HR: 185


No comments:

Post a Comment