Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Winfield Twilight Criterium, Winfield, IL, August 13, 2011

Today was the first of two races put on by ABD this weekend in Winfield. I hadn’t participated in this race since the 2009 edition, and faithful readers will recall that it had kicked my butt. I wish I could say that this year was different. I also wish that I was a multi-millionaire living on a private island in the San Juan Islands. But some things just aren’t in the cards…


How was the course? Well, to plagiarize my own report from 2009, it is a mile-long loop raced counter-clockwise through a residential neighborhood. As soon as you left the start/finish and rounded the first sweeping left-hand curve you were faced with a 300 meter climb that topped out at 6.2%. From there it was all downhill…at the top of the hill was a left-hand turn followed by a few technical left and right turns.


Rider turnout for the Cat 4 race was incredibly weak. Only about 22 riders rolled to the line for 30 minutes plus 3 laps, and when the whistle blew we took off at a brisk pace. Hal was my only Bicycle Heaven teammate in the field. I was near the front of the field the first time up the hill. Of course, there was mad acceleration turning off of the hill, and I found myself losing ground. The pack strung out, but bunched up again the 2nd time up the hill. Already my legs were starting to sing, and not in a good way. They were singing like Yoko Ono.


Well, the long and short of it is that at 8 minutes I was gassed, at 10 minutes in I was gapped, and at 20 minutes in I was lapped. The official didn’t pull me, and I soldiered on for another 10 minutes. At that point, the rain started up again. In hindsight I should have just sucked it up and finished the race, but I have seen too many crashes caused by miscellaneous detritus (i.e. lapped riders) on the course. Today, I was a piece of that detritus. So as I came across the line after 30 minutes, I eyeballed the official and made the throat-cutting “I’m done” motion. DNF.


I had hoped for better, but I knew that the next day would be a chance to redeem myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment